The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just added 2 discus from quarantine tank. I moved them and added them to the tank while the lights were out, to help adjust to the other discus.

I added two Red Eagle amongst my 2 blue diamond, and 2 king cobra skin. They're all basically the same size but I believe one is catching more aggression then he needs.

I was thinking of buying a large female, one three times bigger then these guys so there wouldnt be such an agressive issue going on with the smaller ones. I figured the larger would change things.

I'm hoping for the better..but im having second thoughts on that as well..

Any ideal?

The tank is 150 with lots of hiding spots. Its not like I can change the decor like I did in the past with my cichilds to change up territory..

·
Registered
420 Posts
my fist question is how long has the new group been together? When i have added new disucus it changes the arrangements for a few months. your bio load is low for the size of your tank (150 "gallon" i hope) It would be even harder for new fish if a pair is forming, but, if so great for you! Dont add anything IMHO just yet. Sometimes they have to work it out themselves. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my fist question is how long has the new group been together? When i have added new disucus it changes the arrangements for a few months. your bio load is low for the size of your tank (150 "gallon" i hope) It would be even harder for new fish if a pair is forming, but, if so great for you! Dont add anything IMHO just yet. Sometimes they have to work it out themselves. :)
Since the conception of the tank, which is about a month or a little more. There about 3" to 4" long.

this is the bio load for this tank;
3 danios
40 Neon tets
3 gold tets
2 clown loache
1 angel
3 penguin
2 bumble bee cats
4 bamboo shrimp
6 discus
3 ottos
1 gold ancistrus (bn)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This is common to discus... They tend to be aggressive to one another to establish their pecking order (dominancy)... Once established, you'll see one discus in the very low rank that they will always pick on... BTW, are they all semi-adult/adult already?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Semi adult possibly, hopefully they settle Down
That's the usual start time for them to establish their pecking order (and since you added 2 more to mess up the current order :)) to see who trully rules the place... It will settle down but you'll still see fight here and there occasionally as some discus in the middle/lower rank tries to go one rank/level higher... Just my 2 cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.