The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new at planted aquariums and bought some Java ferns online, when i got them in they were green, after i put them in my tank they turned a dark reddish brown, and they have had no new growth.they have not rotted so i dont know if they are dead, they have been in the tank for about a month. today i bought another java fern from our local petstore and they are bright green. what could cause the ones i bought online to turn reddish brown? could it be the light? or the water condition? any help is appreciated

i have other plants in there that have been in there for about a year and they are growing fine. we planted them as bulbs.

i have added pictures of the ones i got online, the green one is the new one i got from the pet store. sorry for the poor picture quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Strange. Those are about as easy to care for as any aquatic plant used. I've seen them start to look raged or turn yellow/brown if they didn't have enough light, but if your other plants are growing then I doubt that is the case here.

You didn't bury the rhizome did you? The green stem like root at that runs along the bottom? If so, it needs to be above the substrate as this is a water feeder, not a root feeder.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Java's will still look green even when they have dried out. Kinda like dried parsley. The leaves will turn brown after they're in water and start to decay.

Hard to tell from the pictures. Try using more light when taking the pics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are tied to a piece of wood and one is tied to a rock, I did not bury them. They did take a week to get here and they did arrive green but as soon as I got them I tied them up and put them in the tank. two days later they were a reddish brown in color. I figure I'll see what happens to the new Java Fern and if it turns color than I know something is wrong. Thank you for replying and trying to help.

The lighting does suck and I am going to upgrade but I read that Java Fern can grow in low light so I was going to try them. I have been growing some Aponogeton Ulvaceus and Nymphaea Lotus bulbs that I started from bulbs as a test subject successfully about a year ago. I figured if they can grow so could the Java Fern. I'll comment again in about 3 days to let you all know how the new Java Fern are doing. If they turn reddish brown than I know I have a problem. Also I forgot to mention that the Java Ferns I got online were very hot when they arrived. It was about 110 degrees Farenheit here when I got them and they were in my mail box for a few hours. So it might have been the heat. I just wanted to know if any one else experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Java's will not turn brown from lack of light. The don't grow very fast but they don't turn brown. I have some in a 5g with a 9w bulb, no fertz RCS tank. Green but doesn't grow very much

They may have cooked in the heat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have my Java Ferns turning brown from time to time, usually when temperature is high. You might want to watch for new growth on this (brown) one and new (green) one to make sure that they are not turning brown and you should be ok.

From my experience, Java Fern is not very demanding as far as light or nutrient is concerned. I also like the narrow or needle leaf varieties better because they tend to grow and look better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts