The Planted Tank Forum banner

Discoloration on my Cryptocoryne affinis 'metallic red'

2444 6
This tank was torn down and rescaped January 1st but Crypts typically grow great in this tank. Had massive blooms of nearly every algae known to man for the first 30 days or so, but this has subsided over the past 30 and things are clearing up. I bought this plant shortly after rescaping and it's done really well until the last few days. It's probably 20x the mass from when purchased, sprouted several new leaves and seemed well on its way. But over the last couple of days I've been noticing white discoloration and a texture change.

parameters and dosing info:
pH 7.3 degassed
KH 2
GH7
TDS +/- 160
Temp 73f
25-50% water changes weekly

Substrate is inert, CO2 reaching a .8 pH drop, lighting is a Fluval Planted 3.0 peaking around 70% in a 24" deep tank plus a Marineland LED. Lighting is on for 9 hours and 40 minutes a day, with an hour long siesta in the middle. It is a tall, very shady tank, so trying to work out lights to reach the lower places.
FTS taken last night:

Using GLA fert recipe which I thought would be lean but adequate. Can post the amounts of each, but math is my weak point.

K2SO4 -29g
KNO3 -33g
K2PO4 -6g (recipe calls for 3)
MGSO4 -25g
mixed into a 500 ML bottle and dosed at 30 ml daily

CSM+B -40g
mixed into a 500 ML bottle and dosed at 15 ml daily, used to also be 30 ml/day but shrimp appeared lethargic after dosing so I'm tinkering with cutting back.

A cursory Google turned up nothing so hoping someone here has knowledge or experience with this phenomenon. Thanks!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
This tank was torn down and rescaped January 1st but Crypts typically grow great in this tank. Had massive blooms of nearly every algae known to man for the first 30 days or so, but this has subsided over the past 30 and things are clearing up. I bought this plant shortly after rescaping and it's done really well until the last few days. It's probably 20x the mass from when purchased, sprouted several new leaves and seemed well on its way. But over the last couple of days I've been noticing white discoloration and a texture change.

parameters and dosing info:
pH 7.3 degassed
KH 2
GH7
TDS +/- 160
Temp 73f
25-50% water changes weekly

Substrate is inert, CO2 reaching a .8 pH drop, lighting is a Fluval Planted 3.0 peaking around 70% in a 24" deep tank plus a Marineland LED. Lighting is on for 9 hours and 40 minutes a day, with an hour long siesta in the middle. It is a tall, very shady tank, so trying to work out lights to reach the lower places.
FTS taken last night:

Using GLA fert recipe which I thought would be lean but adequate. Can post the amounts of each, but math is my weak point.

K2SO4 -29g
KNO3 -33g
MGSO4 -25g

CSM+B -40g
mixed into a 500 ML bottle and dosed at 15 ml daily, used to also be 30 ml/day but shrimp appeared lethargic after dosing so I'm tinkering with cutting back.

A cursory Google turned up nothing so hoping someone here has knowledge or experience with this phenomenon. Thanks!

Hi I’m guessing it’s a bit shaded.

The plant looks like crypt spiralis red or tiger. The green stripe is usually more evident on the bottom of the leaf which makes me believe it’s either not getting enough light or the leaves are coming in twisted and that may be due to Ca and/or Mg, or maybe even due to reaching for light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New growth of this variety has a green center. The seller let me know that in advance and that's been the case in another tank where the white coloration isn't happening. The green is normal AFAIK but the white is what is concerning me.

·
Banned
68 Posts
There are observable zinc deficiencies across multiple plants. It's likely to be an induced deficiency from the CSM. The response by the shrimp is a sign of toxicity. The amount of plant mass is so low and requires so little nutrients that you shouldn't need to fertilize much at all.

·
Banned
6,197 Posts

K2SO4 -29g
KNO3 -33g
MGSO4 -25g

CSM+B -40g
Is the GLA fert recipe the one from here................

https://greenleafaquariums.com/glanews/gla-ppspro-aquarium-fertilizer-package-mix-dosing-instruction/

If so, the directions say..........

HOW TO DOSE THE MIXTURE…

Bottle #1 Macros: daily dose of 1 mL per every 10 gallons or 40 litres of aquarium water. Dose daily, prior to your aquarium lights turning on.

I believe your tank is a 45G? If so, let's say 40G of water. So that would be 4ml per day.

But you said you are dosing 30ml per day? That is a massive difference.

You also said water changes were 25-50%. There is also a huge difference in accumulation if it's 25 or 50%.

And not saying your problems have anything to do with dosing, but this would be a good place to start.

And you will want to learn the math.

The Zorfox of Rotalabutterly calculators will be your friend.

Here is your KNO3 dosing calculated on Zorfox. Notice at 4 ml per day that's 1.06 NO3 daily. That's about 7 ppm weekly. At 50% water change that is 14 ppm max accumulation. At 25% water change that is 28 ppm max accumulation.

Here is the same based on the 30ml you said you were dosing. At 30 ml per day that's 8 ppm per day. That's about 56 ppm per week. At 50% water change that is 112 ppm max accumulation. At 25% water change that is 224 ppm max accumulation.

Just saying it will help you to get a handle on these numbers and learn how to use one of the calculators.

·
snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow did I ever misread directions! Also got some suspect advice elsewhere, but it's on me for following it. Odd thing is, the only two testable nutrients I'm adding are NO3 and PO4. No3 never has gotten over 30ish (I shake reagent #2 vigorously) and PO4 is usually barely registering. As for the 25-50%, it's usually closer to half but there's a point where I can leave filters running and out of laziness/time considerations that I'll sometimes refill from. Thanks so much for shedding light on this. The nutrient page is bookmarked and I'll be working on these today and will reset things. I have the same plant in the other tank that is treated the same way that is not showing these symptoms (yet), interestingly enough. I'm honestly surprised more isn't going wrong!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.