The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 8 Amano shrimp the other day. I took them out of the shipping box and put them in the tank. I left the lights off the rest of that day to try to let them rest.

I saw one hiding in the Wisteria the next day. Since then, I haven't laid eyes on one. I checked the floor around the tank to see of they'd found a way out and I can't find any on the outside. There's nothing else in there big enough to eat them.

Are these things usually that secretive? Noctournal?

Should I try dynomiting the tank to stun them to the surface? :) Would 2 sticks be enough? :eek:

If they're still hiding in the plants (and there's a lot of places to hide), I figure in about 6 or 8 weeks, they'll come out about 6" long and say "Okay, boys, we're takin' ovah!" :)

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
There are a number of species of Algae eating shrump that are marketed as "Amano Shrimp, or Cardina Japonica". Unfortunately, most of them are not actually Cardina Japonica. These other algae eating shrimp are very close in appearance, although they may be smaller, and are extremely shy.

If you do actually have real Cardina Japonica shrimp then they may be feeling bullied, or shy. Give them a few weeks to settle in and explore there new home. My shrimp feel threatened by my Loaches and Angelfish, they will disapear if they catch sight of one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts