Registered
29 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 29 gallon tank with the following stock:

5 black neon tetra
3 cardinal tetras (formerly 5)
2 Bolivian Rams
1 pearl gourami

So, I know that cardinal tetras can be unpredictable. My tank is heavily planted and parameters are all good but I still knew I was taking a gamble when I got them. I bought the 5 cardinals about 2 weeks ago now, and one died shortly thereafter. I found the body for that one. Today, I noticed I only have 3 cardinals left but I can't find a body anywhere. Is it possible the rams ate one? They are a mated pair, allegedly, thought I have not seen them spawn yet. I thought they were peaceful fish but the cardinals are still quite young/tiny and well, rams are cichlids after all. Just wondering what other people think....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hayden

...Or maybe the cardinal died and the body got eaten overnight? Just another thought to add to the mix...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Either one of the possibilities you mentioned above could have occurred.
A third is that small young Cardinals are quite sensitive and it doesn't take much stress or water quality issues to have them perish soon after introduction to a new environment.

And then they disappear, either through being eaten, quick decomposition, or the small dead body gets hidden easily within the plants or décor, where it decomposes, never to have been discovered.

I got 16 of young & small Cardinals over 3 weeks or so ago, and lost 2 very quickly - within 2 days (one of which I did not find)
Fortunately, the remaining 14 are eating extremely well, they've grown noticeably, and are all doing very well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...all of this feedback helps. I had a feeling this might happen with cardinals but then I've heard so much about neon tetras being susceptible to disease so thought I would give cardinals a whirl. I'll wait till my tank ages a bit more and try again...maybe I can find some tank-raised ones online or somewhere, as I hear those are hardier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts