The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water always looks dirty and slightly cloudy. Dirty like there is crap floating around all the time. Heavily planted, co2 4.5 watt/gal.
And also I do water changes a few times a week so my nitrates are always low. Aren't nitrates good for a planted tank. How do I raise them with out hurting the fish?

·
Registered
845 Posts
You can buy KNO3 here: http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/ Are you dosing ferts?

Chrona is right though, you should find out "why" your water looks that way. Have you tested it? Is it looking that way straight from the tap?

Regular filter may not be enough. You can "polish" your water by using a diatom filter, like a Magnum 350 or the HOB or the Vortex models.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You can't just "fertilize" a tank with fluorish. Plants need NPK to grow. You can't just put 200 watts over a 45, dump in some Fluorish, and expect things to do well. It's more involved than that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I'm beginning to see that. I thought co2, lots of light and a good substrate was all you needed. I like that dosing schedule that was interesting. But I thought phosphate was bad. I thought that creates algae. I actually have phosphate remover in my filter. All those things that were on that dosing schedule are harmless to fish?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes I'm beginning to see that. I thought co2, lots of light and a good substrate was all you needed. I like that dosing schedule that was interesting. But I thought phosphate was bad. I thought that creates algae. I actually have phosphate remover in my filter. All those things that were on that dosing schedule are harmless to fish?
Phosphates don't cause algae. This is a common myth. In fact, some types of algae are due to a lack of phosphates. I would take the phosphate remover out, as your plants need it. Nitrates are obviously bad for the fish, but only in higher 30+ppm concentrations. Normally I see people running their tanks at 10ppm of nitrates or so, so that's not a worry. Clean up your tank, remove all dead/decaying stuff as it leeches more nutrients into the water and is probably what is causing your cloudiness. Also, feed the fish less for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.