The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys deal with sloughing in your tubing? Just cleaning em with a brush? I just cleaned out my filters and didnt think to clean my tubing, sides backwashing em and when i turned em on...brown gunk all up in my tank. :icon_frow

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just replace it. That's what i did w/ my tubing for my XP3.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have a brush on a 4' long flexible plastic wire that cleans hoses and intake tube great, I think it is called a flex-brush or something similar. I bought it at the LFS.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Yeah, but in a healthy established system the loss of it wouldn't be noticed. Drop in the bucket my friend.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
To be honest, I usually just replace it since its not that expensive and I only have to do that about once a year. However, I bet that putting it into a bucket with water and a little bit of bleach would kill it. Then, you could probably stick one of those bristled tube cleaners in to push the junk through. I actually put black tubing on my 25g so I never have to see that.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I would just go to the hardware store and buy new clear vinyl tubing. Nothing better than looking at clean, unsoiled tubing. Like that feeling you get when you just spent 20 minutes cleaning every part of your canister and plugged it back in......awww yeah.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your LFS should sell sets of cleaning brushes. I had to extend the ones I got with a piece of wire. Try and find the long wire brushes with WIRE handles, not the thick nylon cord. The nylon works great if your hoses are short enough that you can thread them all the way through, but my hoses are too long. Just pull the brush through once or twice and you'll free up any of the loose stuff that will blow into the tank when you start the filter back up. I do it every time I clean my filter so I don't shoot all the junk into my tank when I start them back up. So 1-2 times with the brush, run some clean water through them and you're done. No need to buy new hoses-It only takes a minute.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I back wash it with a garden hose from time to time but don't concern myself too much with it and when the time comes I just replace it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you replace it, look into the opaque (grey) tubing, you get algae build up in it because it's clear (light penetrates=algae build-up), you don't get build up with opaque :icon_wink

It may be a little more expensive than the clear but you won't need to worry about cleaning it and it'll always stay pretty.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
you still get a buildup of stuff in the black tubes. I recently cleaned mine and was amazed at the crap in there. I would assume cleaning them out like that once in a while (1-2 a year maybe I had gone 1.5 years) would help with the flowrate of your filter also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts