The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 ft Python that I have had for over 15 years . Still works great , it has just gotten grungy inside to the point where it looks black instead of clear . I can take the vacuum part off and brush clean that part of the hose , but I don't have a 25 ft bottle brush..lol . Anyone cleaned their's and if so how ? I thought of putting some marbles or bb's in it with some water and just run them back and forth . I clean old bottles I have dug up that way .

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I attached a water pump to one side and put in a bin with chlorinated water. One hose came clean after a day of that but the one used for dumping just turned purple and pink after several days.

I've used heavy nuts attached to string then after a string is through the whole thing pull a rag through shorter lengths but doubt I'd be able to get it through something as long as my purple hose. Probably should try, it is pretty nasty looking.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why I am skittish of using bleach . I had not thought of the nut and string idea , thanks . That's why I come here...:smile2:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I attached a water pump to one side and put in a bin with chlorinated water. One hose came clean after a day of that but the one used for dumping just turned purple and pink after several days.

I've used heavy nuts attached to string then after a string is through the whole thing pull a rag through shorter lengths but doubt I'd be able to get it through something as long as my purple hose. Probably should try, it is pretty nasty looking.
The pump in a bin or bucket works great if you add peroxide to it.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A trick that's used for long runs of conduit might help. If you can find something lightweight like a cotton ball that just fits inside the tubing, you can tie a thread on and then blow the cotton ball through. Or a vacuum on the far end can also suck the cotton ball through. Once the thread is in, tie a stronger cord on and add the rag or scrubber you choose at the midpoint of the cord. With this set, you can then "saw" the scrubber back and forth to clean the tough spots. For a long tube, a helper can be a big help! But I do a bleach soak first to get the stuff loosened as much as possible. A light bleach mix will avoid discoloring the tubing if you don't let it set for more than a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More great ideas , thanks .

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Might be easier to just replace the tubing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just setup a bucket with a pump attached to the hose fill the bucket with water and bleach and recirculate until the hose is clean. Then empty the bucket, refill with water and a bunch of dechlorinater and and run it until I don't smell bleach, then repeat the same rinse again. Never had an issue, other than the hose getting a little more opaque like plantedrich mentioned.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What about isopropyl alcohol with a very very fine blasting sand run through the python at full blast? Alcohol evaporates into completely safe by-products and 91% is a pretty effective solvent combined with a mild abrasive medium.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay , so I tried the pump and bleach method . Took about 10 mins to setup , let it run for about 4 hours while I was doing other things . Hose did not come out crystal clear , but it is very much cleaner than it was . At least I can clearly see stuff going through it...lol Was worth the effort to me . It is running fresh water and de-chlor now . Should be fine for WC's tomorrow . Thanks for everyones ideas .

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I have a cleaner that is made of lighter weight weed eater line. Stiff enough to be pushed through the tubing. Then attached a bristle like a brush with no handle. Then more weed eater line. For long tubing it works best with 2 people to pull it back and forth.

Good idea to set up a pump to circulate the cleaner of your choice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.