The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of dirting a 20H. I'm curious...are there certain plants that do better in dirt? I have two 8.5 inch domes with 13 watt bulbs resting on the glass. I'm trying to keep this low tech, but I do have an extra co2 system if needed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Actually my floaters do better in the dirted tanks than my ei tank. The leaching effect from the soil helps them boom!
Some of my floaters rooted into my dirt tank... Granted it's a shallow tank that's only six inches deep.

As for the OP's question, cryptocorynes, swords, and hygros do great in dirt. No CO2 required either.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
crypts love dirt. i use mgo with pool filter sand cap and mine went nuts. swords also did great. the one down side is once you plant if you try to move things it makes a huge mess so its best to have a plan and stick to it our your tank will be muddy for a while if you move stuff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Actually my floaters do better in the dirted tanks than my ei tank. The leaching effect from the soil helps them boom!
That was a joke....The OP asked if there were specific plants that did better "IN" dirt...

Salvinia, frogbit, riccia all grow amazing well in my dirted tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts