The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to use dirt in a nano shrimp tank? I'm assuming this shouldn't be an issue. As I understand it, 1" of dirt with a 1.5" sand cap should work nicely. Can the layers for each be deeper without running into issues with gas pockets? When planting rooted plants, I'm assuming you plant into the sand and let the roots work their way into the dirt on their own, correct? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had a dirt shrimp tank with no cap for some time. Shrimp seemed to like "digging" in all the little particles.

Some say the cap is helpful in creating a bio filter for the soil as it degrades, but I had no problems. Shrimp bred freely.

I think as a general rule 2 inches of substrate is recommended in total no matter what it is. It seems you have enough info already to probably do just fine.

What size is the tank? The tank I was just referencing was a 2.5 gallon. Just a standard petco one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a dirt shrimp tank with no cap for some time. Shrimp seemed to like "digging" in all the little particles.

Some say the cap is helpful in creating a bio filter for the soil as it degrades, but I had no problems. Shrimp bred freely.

I think as a general rule 2 inches of substrate is recommended in total no matter what it is. It seems you have enough info already to probably do just fine.

What size is the tank? The tank I was just referencing was a 2.5 gallon. Just a standard petco one.
It's probably going to be a 10 gallon tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts