The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have a dirted tank then you probably have plants as well correct? I have a 65G dirted heavy planted tank since January & my Nitrates stay around 5. Plants feed off of Nitrates so if yours do not, then they are probably missing the other fertilizer ingredients meaning they aren't really trying to thrive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a dirted tank then you probably have plants as well correct? I have a 65G dirted heavy planted tank since January & my Nitrates stay around 5. Plants feed off of Nitrates so if yours do not, then they are probably missing the other fertilizer ingredients meaning they aren't really trying to thrive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The 10g plants would grow like crazy! But for the first 6 months the tank would sit at 60ppm of nitrates. We did water changes every second day. Atm it sits at 30

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
The 10g plants would grow like crazy! But for the first 6 months the tank would sit at 60ppm of nitrates. We did water changes every second day. Atm it sits at 30
So I don't know a lot about dirts in aquariums, but what I have seen is that they let off a lot of nutrients until the just don't any more. So in the beginning I think a water change almost daily is advised (probably if you have fish) and then it dwindles down until you're doing normal weekly changes a couple months down the road. So likely this is happening and yours should be mellowing soon.

But if your plants are not growing much then like JTMoney76 said, your probably missing another nutrient. Could be Potassium, likely not Phosphates, could be any of the traces or a combo of multiple traces or a combo of Micro and Macro nutrients.

So basically, for us to help you will need a lot more info. But by then I'm sure you'll understand what's going on. I would get a few test kits. The API master kit is for keeping your fish alive. You'll want other tests that you generally have to buy singularly. I would probably get Potassium and GH/KH tests. These will help you and should basically tell you all you need to know for everything other than your trace nutrients. But for this... I myself and going to buy some trace nutrients. The kinds that come pre made probably. Going for mostly a mid tech tank if you will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.