The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Usually I trim the tops and leave the bottoms, replanting the tops if I feel like it. But sometimes when the bottoms get ratty looking, I cut the whole stem off at the substrate- eliminating any cloud that might occur.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
really depends on the plant i think.

with what i have, i trim the tops off and usually replant those to increase the amount of shrubbery i have.

however, with thicker stemmed plants i've trimmed the top and this did not result in regrowth, but, instead that section turning black and no longer growing.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Depends on the plants in question really but most stems I'll top or cut just above the first leaf node so they bush up and grow short. Thinning crypts is a mess, amazon sword,,,, it stays or dies LOL as I'll core the root ball taking it out and pitch it.

depends on the plant
HTH

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it seems the consensus is, don't up root. I set up a dirt tank as an experiment and a place to grow out some plants before putting them into a high tech tank I"m planning. The thing is, this dirt tank is beautiful! I put a few zebra danios in to cycle it and wow, those are some beautiful fish, so active and all over the tank. Just goes to show you don't need the 20 dollar a fish rare item to just really enjoy a tank.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.