The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 55 gallon aquarium that I have all cleaned up and am wanting to do a planted aquarium. I havent ever done it before and I am wanting to use a dirt base after hearing some less favorable things about Flourite and the others like it. The question is what dirt to use. I have heard miracle grow potting mix, organic miracle grow potting soil. What do you guys prefer? I have top soil but dont like the idea of trying to pick out the wood pieces and having a bunch of organic breakdown.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I would go with topsoil. Get it from your local landscape joint and it will probably be clean. I use yard dirt. One plus to the organic breakdown is it will cycle the tank for you. I have yet to mineralize a soil and my stuff grows like gangbusters, all low tech. So my recommendation would be to use the topsoil. Run it through a sieve or simply pick out the large pieces of debris and go on down the road. WHat are you going to cap with? Take a look at the 75g and 10g in my sig and you can see what dirt will do :) Welcome to the dirt club where low tech can be lush too!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with topsoil. Get it from your local landscape joint and it will probably be clean. I use yard dirt. One plus to the organic breakdown is it will cycle the tank for you. I have yet to mineralize a soil and my stuff grows like gangbusters, all low tech. So my recommendation would be to use the topsoil. Run it through a sieve or simply pick out the large pieces of debris and go on down the road. WHat are you going to cap with? Take a look at the 75g and 10g in my sig and you can see what dirt will do :) Welcome to the dirt club where low tech can be lush too!!
I plan on capping with just some natural aquarium gravel I have.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts