The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help from you dirt lovers out there. Do you guys follow the EI dosing recommendations? Or do you follow a leaner dosing amount since the dirt is supplying some nutrients? Thanks :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Parameters maintained between the following, NO3 10-30ppm, PO4 1-5ppm, maintaining 4-6dGH and 2dKH my plants grow, fish breed and I'm happy with the tanks. Enriched substrates only make the water column dose last longer. After a water change and setting parameters I'm likely to add trace and PO4 only until the next water change.
HTH

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Parameters maintained between the following, NO3 10-30ppm, PO4 1-5ppm, maintaining 4-6dGH and 2dKH my plants grow, fish breed and I'm happy with the tanks. Enriched substrates only make the water column dose last longer. After a water change and setting parameters I'm likely to add trace and PO4 only until the next water change.
HTH
Pretty lean on dosing, I dose once a week or so if I think about it. Depends on your goals, really. You could for sure use EI if you wish, it is all about preference. My goal was to be lean on water fertilizers and water changes, so I based my decision on that. I have great growth and no one has complained about the plants I've sent them. :redface: It's all about what you want.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
HTH
Pretty lean on dosing, I dose once a week or so if I think about it. Depends on your goals, really. You could for sure use EI if you wish, it is all about preference. My goal was to be lean on water fertilizers and water changes, so I based my decision on that. I have great growth and no one has complained about the plants I've sent them. :redface: It's all about what you want.
Not really based on what I test. If the NO3 level doesn't reduce on repeated tests then feeding the fish and the resulting waste is maintaining the level is my assumption. I do see PO4 drop in about three days needing more.
Adding my trace/fe soup well that's a given and seems to work whether needed or not.

If the NO3 isn't bottoming out then the plants have enough (imo).

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Not really based on what I test. If the NO3 level doesn't reduce on repeated tests then feeding the fish and the resulting waste is maintaining the level is my assumption. I do see PO4 drop in about three days needing more.
Adding my trace/fe soup well that's a given and seems to work whether needed or not.

If the NO3 isn't bottoming out then the plants have enough (imo).
Hahaha, I quoted you and not the OP, sorry Mike (must have been thinking of you). No, I wouldn't consider you a lean doser, I was actually trying to say I dose lean, like almost never. Sorry about the confusion. :icon_redf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts