The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this dirted tank since October the growth has been awesome but it seems that I'm starting to develop an algae problem. The lights I have are 2 horizontal mounted 10 watt cfl bulbs on for about 8 hours. I top of 1 to 1 1/2 gallons every week other than that I don't do water changes and i don't dose ferts. I have 3 amano shrimp and 3 neon tetras that u feed every other day. Ammonia is at 0 nitries 0 nitrates like 5 to none and phosphate is .25 or .5. The question here is how do I deal with this algae as well as what kind is it? Also I've posted some pics of the tank and the algae on the rocks also the anubius had some brown stuff but it doesn't wipe off any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can you provide a picture of the algae?

It sounds like your plants are missing some essential keys to their growth. Usually algae grows when the plants can't utilize the nitrates correctly in your environment.

As for the light you can try to cut the algae growth by getting a timer and setting a split "lights on" time. (example: mine is split as follows, 4 hours on in the morning, 8 hours off when I'm at work, 4 hours on in the evening, and 8 hours off when I'm asleep.) someone once told me that algae has a harder time growing when the photo period is split.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.