The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where my new 75gal is sitting, it will get direct morning sunlight from ~6am-10am. The lights then pop on about noon-10pm.

Is this a good or bad situation?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excess heat and green spot algae could be some downside. I usually try to avoid having sun light striking the tank.
Unfortunately, The tanks setup and well, its not moving. There would not be any other reasonable place to put it in my Condo. Being 75 Gal They actually nailed up 3 more 2x4's to support it under my floor.

I'm thinking it could help my marginal lighting setup. I could do the photo period of 7am-Noon, and then 5pm - 10pm.. Donno how the ambient lighting would affect the tank between noon-5pm however..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it will work. Try it and find out. If not you can always put up some sort of blinds and fix that. For the money you save in electricity it could be worth a little algae scrubbing, if that turns out to be the only downside.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I get about 3 hours of afternoon sun pouring into my 75g. It makes my plants pearl. They don't pearl otherwise with only 130w. Some GSA, but I have that anyways. :) I do inject CO2, like 15ppm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It will work because Im doing the same thing. My tank sit right next to the window. When I wake up at 6 am to get ready to go to college i turn the blind so the light can come through. I get home around 12 then i turn the blinds a little bit because its to bright. There is a little algae but not alot. I also have CO2 running so it will reduce the algae.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Morning Sun shouldn't be to much a problem. My tank gets just a little morning sun on one side of it which has no algae on that side.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
Green Spot Alga... Just My Honest Opinion...

Regarding sun, there are a couple of considerations that might or might not be issues for you.

Basically, it is a lot of free light, great from that aspect. It is not very constant... some days it might be cloudy, in Winter or Summer it might hit different parts of the tank, etc. If you do have issues with algae, it might proliferate them...

A tank that is directly hit by sun is harder to see/enjoy than a tank that is sitting in a dark corner and properly lit. If this is just for a couple of hours in the morning, shouldn't be a problem.

Some fish get spooked by shadows, so if you have easy-to-spook fishies and people are often passing between the window and the tank that might be in issue.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have a similar situtation - sunlight 6-9AM (skylight) and then 2-5PM (glass door). The morning sun looks lousy because it hits the tank strait on. But, the afternoon sun comes in through the side......my favorite 3 hours of the day :). I never got any more spot algae in the "sun areas" than the non-sun. Only issue I ever had was BGA - oops, ;) - Blue Green Algae growing against the glass, beneath the substrate (in the sunny areas).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts