The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a reefguy it's pretty common to dip fish and corals, and usually a FW dip for fish does the job for us just fine.
Yesterday I went to buy plants, and the guy at LFS said a couple fish in his plant tank had ich, and I should dip plants before adding them.
Just saying the "I" word ended my plant purchase right there.
So, now I'm wondering, what do most FW peeps do for prevention?
Do you dip plants?
What do you do for fish?

·
Registered
199 Posts
... So, now I'm wondering, what do most FW peeps do for prevention?
Do you dip plants?
What do you do for fish?
Just a noob here, but so far what i've learned....

1) Raise the temperature close to 80° f (causes the ich eggs to hatch)
2) put "CopperSafe" or similar product in water to help kill them.
3) take carbon our of ur filter, so it dont trap all the medication and it should clear up in bout 2 weeks to a month....

think that does da trick. I'm sure some of da pro's here may have better methods. Hope that helps.... :proud:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a noob here, but so far what i've learned....

1) Raise the temperature close to 80° f (causes the ich eggs to hatch)
2) put "CopperSafe" or similar product in water to help kill them.
3) take carbon our of ur filter, so it dont trap all the medication and it should clear up in bout 2 weeks to a month....

think that does da trick. I'm sure some of da pro's here may have better methods. Hope that helps.... :proud:
That sounds good for when there is a problem, but I'm looking more for preventative measures/advice.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You should thank the LFS guy for actually mentioning it to you in the first place! That's very atypical, ime. He might have totally saved you from getting an Ich infestation!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree, I was very surprised he pointed it out to me, though they do know me pretty well at this LFS from years of reeftank purchases.
On reef stuff, we just assume everything we get is infected in some way, and all corals/fish get some kind of dip, and really a quarantine tank is best.
Just checking on what peeps are doing for FW/planted stuff these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts