The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm replacing the Red Flourite in my 75G with Eco Complete so i have to uproot HC and replant it. some of leaves have algae (dark blue-green looking, not sure if it is cyanobacteria) on the surface so i want to take this opportunity to get get rid of this nasty thing. has anyone tried dipping HC into Hydrogen Peroxide or any kinds of chemical to kill algae? i have dropped HP on top of the leaves before and they seemed unharmed by it but they were in the tank with water. i'm worried that HP might destroy the root hairs if i dip the whole plant into the solution.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
A potassium permanganate dip { http://www.chemistrystore.com/product.cgi?product=67082&group= } would be a better gentler solution but you still would not want to ever add it to a tank just dip the plant in it then wash it off with tap water.

It's a good snail killer as well, I dip all new plants *except Val's* in it before adding it to any tank just to kill any hitchhikers (snail and algae).

- Brad

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I haven't tried dipping but I did a massive dosage of h2o2 in my 10g not too long ago. My foreground plant was HC. If you check out my 10g journal you can see the crash photos of the aftermath. I don't think HC can really handle h2o2. But that's just me. Other's may have had good results from minor dosing regimens.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Remove any algae and dip what is left. A minute in H2O2 should work then rinse in water.

I just tore down a 10G and planing to dip plants and equipment in a 1:19 bleach solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts