The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dimmable fluorescent confusion

484 3
So I got this used tank and the lady who sold it to me said the ramp is supposed to be dimmable, but that she didn't personally use that function. The ballast is sealed inside an aluminium box, and I'm loathe to break it apart and have to reapply all that silicone. There's two cables; one regular power cord and one that has a 2-pin DIN connector. I've shown the set-up to a number of lighting/electronics shops and no one can tell me anything. They say they have to see the ballast is to be able to tell me anything at all. I figured they should have some idea what that DIN connector might once have been plugged into, but nope.

Anyone here have any clue?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Safe bet its for a dim module. Type though is , like they said, really only determinable by seeing the ballasts or knowing the light manuf and some research.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/...-Fluorescent-Fixtures-Work.aspx?LangType=1033
2-WireDimmed Input

These are very common ballasts and the easiest to install. They require a dimmed hot and a neutral (ground is understood) and are available in 5% dimmed models from such companies as Lutronand Advance (Philips). They are installed and controlled on one dimmer just as you would an incandescent source except that a bottom-end threshold is set. This setting keeps the lamps from running below their recommended voltage, preventing premature failure of both lamps and ballasts.

2-wire ballasts are made in both forward phase and reverse phase variants. To dim a reverse phase ballast you will need to use a reverse phase dimmer module such as ETC's ELV10 dimmer in a compatible dimmer rack.
more likely.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Well, not quite.. actually 4 wire.. 2 for power .. 2 to dim.
and I meant if it's a commercial fixture/hood then the manuf.
hood manuf would have the "plug in" module for dimming

Ballast should have manuf and wiring info prnted on it as well.
would have info needed to hack the circuit or point to alternative parts..

One easy check, I think, would be to see if you have any power at the "Din" plug.. A VOM may show it as 10V DC..Then a simple rheostat should work for dimming..
Light needs to be on..
To be honest, I'd disassemble the ballast part b4 doing anything.
If old enough you may need to be doing this in the future anyways.. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.