The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question here;

I am under the impression that dry trace mix must be diluted in distilled water in order to be effective.

Is there any reason not to just mix the dry trace into some tank water stir it all up and then just add it to the water column? This is what I do with my NPK, just wondering if it is ok to do with trace mix. Does the chelator need time to work in a more concentrated state?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question here;

I am under the impression that dry trace mix must be diluted in distilled water in order to be effective.

Is there any reason not to just mix the dry trace into some tank water stir it all up and then just add it to the water column? This is what I do with my NPK, just wondering if it is ok to do with trace mix. Does the chelator need time to work in a more concentrated state?
You can mix it up in tank water and dump it in. No problem at all.

Folks typically use distilled water when they are making big mixes in dosing bottles. We do this to avoid mixing iron and kh2po4. Doing so can form iron phosphate which is useless for our plants. This could also lead to iron precipitation and who wants a tank with water that looks like milk....:icon_wink

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I use distilled water making up 500 and 1000ml bottles to avoid fungus growth in the dosing bottles. Some add acid but instead I just add 30ml of my Glut mix (excel). Bottle can be in the cabinets for a month with no fuzzy growth. Having bottles with the dosing chambers and a diluted mix it's a lot easy to measure than a 'pinch' of powder AND less chance of a foobar dumping too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.