The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as stated, I am experimenting with using HOB filter to diffuse co2 into water. I'd like to get your opinions on whether what i show is proof of co2 being dissolved at a rate close to 100%.

the video is my recording of co2 bubbles being sucked into the HOB as well as that there is not any obvious bubbles being gassed of on the water surfaces, both inside the filter chambers and where the water is returned to the tank.

the pictures are before and after shot of my drop checker.

thank you

video

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
as stated, I am experimenting with using HOB filter to diffuse co2 into water. I'd like to get your opinions on whether what i show is proof of co2 being dissolved at a rate close to 100%.

the video is my recording of co2 bubbles being sucked into the HOB as well as that there is not any obvious bubbles being gassed of on the water surfaces, both inside the filter chambers and where the water is returned to the tank.

the pictures are before and after shot of my drop checker.

thank you

video
I would invest in a ph meter which is way more accurate. The drop checker is delayed in reading co2 it's like using one of those thermometers that show temps by color and not an actual mercury thermometer that gives you numbers.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It is apparently working for you as long as you keep the bubble count low. At higher bubbling rate, it will likely get too noisy and disruptive of the flow to be practical. To find out how effective it is, you have to measure pH profile over time to find out how fast the pH is dropping.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
It's very hard to see based on this video whether or not you are getting a 100% dissolution. Since your drop checker is changing you're clearly getting a some amount of dissolution. So long as you're happy with it then I think you have a complete success. That said I can see some bubble coming out of the outflow of the hop filter. It's hard to see in the video but it is there. Is that bubble CO2 or air? Who knows. It's also pretty much impossible to tell without a lot of fuss. I mean if you have say 40% to dissolution, or 100%, they would probably look pretty much the same without some very exacting control.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting conflicted information about whether drop check or ph test is more accurate. People are saying unless you can test the drop of ph on an empty tank, which i can't since all my tanks now have substrate in them, the drop check is more accurate.

either way, i think you gave me the confirmation i am looking for, which is for my particular tank, doing HOB without a separate diffuser is good enought, hanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.