The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i set this up as a temporary way to diffuse the co2 into my tank because the airstone was just not workin! so tell me if this makes any sense.. this is a cheap 1-3 gallon whisper filter powered by an air pump. so i have diy co2 that i connected to one side of a t-port (left) and the air pump is on the other side of the t-port (right) any downside to this setup besides the gorgeous look of it? ;) thx guys!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am really kinda confused, but I dont think your contraption is doing any good. You are pumping O2 into one side and DIY CO2 into the other. IDK

But some advice for a cheap DIY CO2 diffuser, run down to a local Chinese resturaunt (god knows there are on every damn street corner) and snag some chop sticks. When I was a DIY'er I would cut about an inch long piece, taper (not like a pencil, dont make it sharp) one end with a pencil sharpener to make it easier to stuff in the tubing. Then hook that up under/in a power head or something. I think that would be much better and look a lot better.

Good Luck

Any ??'s pm me!

Scotty

·
Registered
740 Posts
Check out the Hagen Elite Mini reconfigured as a diffuser- do a thread search to get details. It's cheap & works very well (better than ceramic disk IMHO).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I thought about doing that way in a small tank I have (same filter). The problem is that the CO2 is only exposed to the water column for the amount of time it take to get from the bottom of the tube to the top of the filter, which isn't nearly enough time. If you did something like this with a bigger filter, something with an impeller which would break the big bubbles into smaller ones first, it would be a little more effective. But truthfully, the simple chopstick thing Sportdriver mentioned would work very well too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm. ok, thx guys! ill have to get something else going..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts