The Planted Tank Forum banner

Diffuser Maintenance

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  o snap its eric 
#1 ·
Hi,
We have a couple new Rhinox 5000 glass diffusers. We are wondering which is the best way to clean them. I have read of several different ways of doing this, and the simplest seems to be soaking them in Excel. This method negates the need to rinse in Prime, or the hassle of getting the diffusers Tilex or bleach, free.

We had a little trouble getting the airline to stay attached to the diffusers, originally, and resorted to nuking some water and softening the tygon tubing, so we could push it on the glass stem far enough so that it stayed.

So, to clean the glass bases of the diffusers we put them in small tupper ware and remove them from the tank, leaving the airtube intact, and then pour Excel onto the base, (which is partial full of tank water). Letting them soak, while we do the water change.
Then take them out of the tupperware, pour any Excel in the tank, and reinstall the diffusers back in the tank.

We are wondering if this sounds like a feasible way of cleaning the Rhinox Diffusers?
Is there a way of scrubbing the algae on the white micro plate, in the base, with a toothbrush, without damaging it?

Being new to them, and realizing they are easily breakable, we thought we shouldn't be constantly removing and reattaching the airlines, but we have noticed that tank water stays in the base and dilutes the Excel (app. 5ml per disc) that we are pouring in each diffuser.

Thanks for any input!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Diffuser Maintenance Solution?

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. One of them suggested dropping a small amount of Seachem Acid Buffer, onto the disc. It seemed to kill the algae instantly. I have rinsed twice with tank water, and soaked them in Prime. I will post the results for those interested.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Diffuser Maintenance Solution?

So, it seems that the bubbles are mainly coming out of only one diffuser( I have a Co2 splitter ffrom GLA, with equal length tygon tubing to the discs). I guess I will clean the discs again, and see if that helps. I had about equal dispersion from the 2 discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.