The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished bleach soaking my diffuser and i continued to soak it in prime. After a few days of soaking it the disk dried up.

To make sure i neutralized all the bleach i soaked it again in prime. This time the disc turned dark greyish and so did all the prime. It has a greyish due to it. It also omits a rotten egg/stink bomb smell to it.

What happened and is my disc useable?

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
The sulfurous smell is the Prime itself.

I have seen Prime turn the sintered glass disks of diffusers gray/blackish in the past. I have noticed this when Prime has been used straight on the disk or in a very high concentration. Soaking in straight Prime or in a very high concentration would do the same I suppose.

Soak the diffuser in some water for a little bit and use it. It will be fine.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Why the need to soak the disk in prime? If you boil the diffuser in water, the boiling will drive off any chlorine very rapidly.
Being uncertain that these diffusers are made of a eat resistant glass, I'd be afraid I'd shatter the diffuser by boiling.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I just bleach and rinse well, don't even let it sit for a few days. I don't necessarily recommend it but I only clean it before water changes so I am putting the right chemicals in the water to counteract at the same time. I give rinse until you can't feel it anyone on the glass which can take quite a bit. The make sure it has no water, let it dry 100%, back in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts