The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the Turbo Twist UV sterilizer it recommends different flow rates for treating different problems. The 9w model says to run it at 55 gph for parasites, 121 for algae and 253 for bacteria. Obviously if you run it at the slowest rate of 55 gph it will treat all three problems but won't give you very much water flow. I have never had one so I wanted to know if people adjust the flow rates and how they do it. I have had a few fish that have been getting sick so I want to run it on the tank after all the sick fish have been removed to a hospital tank. I have treated with salt but every month or so it shows up in another fish. These are all fish that have been in this tank for about six months.

I was planning on hooking it up via a powerhead.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mine is plumbed inline with my xp3 filter. I haven't worried about the flow rate too much and I have not had a problem with algae or parasites since I put it in. I just made sure that the water wasn't moving too fast in my 55. Also my water is the clearest it has ever been! These uv's work great!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I used a Via Aqua 360 pump on my 18w Turbo-Twist and it gives me a flow rate of ~76gph. The 18w is 110gph or less for all three, so it worked out well. For the 9w I would have to assume that the Via Aqua 180 (80gph) would take You to 55gph or less. The Via Aqua's are available at DrsF&S....

HTH

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a Via Aqua 360 pump on my 18w Turbo-Twist and it gives me a flow rate of ~76gph. The 18w is 110gph or less for all three, so it worked out well. For the 9w I would have to assume that the Via Aqua 180 (80gph) would take You to 55gph or less. The Via Aqua's are available at DrsF&S....

HTH
What size tank are you using the 18w on? I thought of getting the 18w but I am only going to be using it on a 40 gal. Of course like other obsessive planted tank people, I plan on getting a bigger tank in the future. I only want to run it part time so I don't want to hard plumb it. Do you think I should go ahead and go for the 18w? Also do you run a foam filter on the inlet of the powerhead to keep stuff out of the uv?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Its run on a system that is ~120g total. If money isn't a problem then I would get the 18w and the Via Aqua 360 pump and set it up as portable. If You plan, want, expect to get a larger tank in the future--so much the better.

I don't have any foam or anything as a pre-filter for the pump. Mine is setup portable with 1" pvc and I think that the interior is plenty big enough to allow whatever enters to pass through......

HTH

·
Registered
754 Posts
You should run a bypass that splits the return line in two, put the sterilizer on one 1/2. Place a ball valve just after the sterilizer but before the lines rejoin. You can then use the ball valve to greatly reduce flow through the sterilizer to achieve the best affect.

An alternative to a ball valve would be a reducer, ie 5/8 down to 1/2 (3/8, 1/4 or whatever), it would achieve the same effect but be cheaper. In order to do this you'd need to look around the web and find a tool capable of modelling the flow in the system. You'd also probably need to test the range of flow you receive from your cannister when loaded and clean in order to select the correct reducer size.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I split the output on my 2126 and teed it in to one side. The other side has a ball valve to adjust flow. I'd post a picture, but the firewall here at work won't let me get into Photobucket. :(

Tommy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts