The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, im thinking of getting a crypt species soon but im not really too familiar with crypts, I have one ibelieve its crypt undalata? its fairly large that is almost red/brown colorish.

what are some nice cryps that are fairly small and compact?
color doesn't really matter but ive seen some with like stripes on them? they looked really cool.

but if you could lead me toward some nice species it would be awesome! pictures would also hope!

thanks!:icon_smil

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Just looking at that list make me laugh a little. :p Some of the names used are out of date or have been combined with other species.

This is a pretty well known Cryptocoryne website with tons of great information. Watch out though, it has been known to start major addictions... :icon_wink

http://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

I made a list of some Crypt websites in my emersed journal last July if you're interested.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost.php?p=3916225&postcount=43

As far as compact Crypt. species, I have always enjoyed using C. x willisii. Grows well, stays compact, not nearly as slow or small as C. parva. There are many species that will stay small depending on the conditions. If you want something that looks a bit different, maybe try C. nurii, though depending on conditions it can be as large as many of the C. wendtii variants.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have crypt parva and crypt wendtii red. As mentioned, parva grows painfully slowly, but it looks cool. My wendtii grows like crazy in all my tanks, regardless of ferts, CO2, substrate, lighting, etc. It grows towards the light, so it can get tall in low-light tanks. If you blast it with light, it will stay quite compact and bushy. Can look really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.