The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Fissidens Fontanus. Because it stays fairly short and grows slow. I have only seen Fissidens Splach and Fissidens Zip in pictures so it is hard to see how it grows. I like things to stay neat. So far my has grown leaps and bounds and out of control. I want to add plants I can contain. I have seen Pellia but I remember reading on here somewhere it can be a pain in the toe:icon_wink Something about floating all over the place. Fissidens don't do this. I would love your opinions on the difference in the Fissidens and or the Pellia's. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Fissidens does float to other places and is annoying to get rid of... I accidentally leaked fissidens fontanus into my 40 gallon breeder about 6 months ago. A few leaves drifted into the tank and to this day, I see fissidens fontanus sprouting out on my foreground. I have to pinch them and shake them off my aquasoil (since they root onto each little AS). I still can't get rid of them completely. It's almost as annoying as BBA :(

Pellia isn't as bad since it doesn't root very well. Easily plucked off.
Either way, moss-type plants will always do this. If for some reason it leaks into the tank, it's hard to get rid of. Reminds me of algae...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting my Fissidens F stay put and grows slowly but fills in well. I am leary of the pellia having heard it wonders all over the tank.

Oh I have also discovered that I can't have nerites in my tank they die in a few days. These last ones lasted only a week not your fault just happens third time is not the charm. Oh well!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I've got Fissidens Fontanis as well and it grows super slow for me as well. I kinda like it that way since I already have so many other stem plants to trim. I've seen other variants of fissidens that grow fast even in low light conditions.

Not sure what your water conditions are but aren't nerites supposed to be pretty hardy?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tank at 80 for the discus and they are happy. I have read that sometimes they just don't work well. It may be my soft water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts