The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it. I got my system from Greenleaf and love it (though sold off the ph controller).

I've heard of others having difficulties with cheaper systems.

any chance we could work out a list of the common co2 systems and their respective reliability?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
To put it simply, you get what you pay for in most cases. With gla in particular, you are paying a little extra for custumer service. The less expensive ones like Milwaukee, aquatek, azoo, m3 ext. all have their own quarks and reliability issues. Beyond the ones already mentioned you have the industrials and higher end 2-stages. Those can be made to do what ever you want and are the most reliable given the parts used to construct them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good list of the lesser systems. What names should I be on a look out for as quality ones? I'm a Craigslist/ used market junkie.

J

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
That's a good list of the lesser systems. What names should I be on a look out for as quality ones? I'm a Craigslist/ used market junkie.

J
For pre-built, retail units, you just don't have any choices. Finding a high end that someone built isn't easy either. If you're looking to build your own, I'd just look for industrial stuff or used lab equipment. Too many to list. Victor, concoa, and parker are among my favorites. Bettatail always has some ready to go too but then you have to pay his mark-up.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
As oldpunk78 mentioned, your best bet is to be patient on the 2nd hand market and wait for good parts.

There are a lot of options out there (and a lot of parts that will work), it is just sometimes easier to go with parts that people have tested and used previously. However, because of the recent surge in demand for pressurized CO2, it might be harder to get these (well documented and tested) parts.

I'd help, but I am up in Canada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't waste your time on dual stage. The whole reason for dual stage is in construction you could be running off a gas bank with multiple lines drawing out, and the dual stage prevents a sudden flex in gas flow when new lines start to draw. A home aquarium setup only has a few small draws (no where near the CFM of construction), and it is a constant draw. Remember that a needle valve adjusts the % of gas you give to it, so set your working pressure low and you will have a much finer adjustment. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts