The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have an Eheim 54. It has a black lid with the light attached, but if you take the lid off it has quite a nice rim to it, it isnt edged with a black bit (sorry i dont know what its called).

So is there a difference between the structure of this tank and a rimless tank? If I took the lid off mine could I instantly turn it into a rimless tank? I cant see how the lid can provide much support if any but Im no engineer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Rimless tanks come with thicker glass which provides additional support. On rimmed tanks the rim provides the extra support.

Taking the rim off of a rimmed tank poses a risk of the tank coming apart at the seams. It's been done on small tanks (10g) but I'm not sure of tanks larger than that.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Here are the specs on that tank. I don't believe we get these here in North America, but I would not remove the top rim on that tank, it might be an integral part of its structural design. The glass is only 4mm thick, less than half a cm. That's not much at all. I have a 7g rimless (12x12x12") and it has 8mm thick glass. I wouldn't risk it, you probably won't be able to use it to hold water again.

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/aquariums/starter-kits/aquastar-54_black#technology

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah okay thanks guys. i wasnt planning on removing the lid but I was very curious, having never owned a rimless tank before.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
From what I see online (I have never seen this tanks in the states), it doesn't have a rim like most tanks, the lid actually covers the edges. If that is the case, and it's as simple as lifting the top off (meaning it's not actually siliconed to the tank) I am 99.9999999% sure it's fine to take off. I had a Marina tank like that, the top didn't have a rim, it was just a big piece of plastic that was the hood of the tank.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Rimless have no frame, they use thicker glass, usually starfire, and are made with superior German silicone (generally).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts