The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I purchased a used tank, and it came with a school of fish. The previous owner purchased the fish from Aqua Forest under the name "Red Minor Serpae Tetra". Unfortunately, I have moved across the country, and the school diminished significantly during the trip.

I'd like to get some more of these, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the species name. These are a distinctly different fish than a normal Serpae Tetra. They are brighter red, with little to no black on them.

Google doesn't give me a whole lot of info. Everywhere it says "Red Minor, AKA Serpae Tetra" or "Serpae Tetra, aka Red Minor".

Any help? I can't get a picture of what I have, they are in a rubbermaid tub for the next month or so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only varieties I've seen are regular and long-fins called serpaes or red minors. You might just have some mature ones with good color and are seeing ones without as much color because they're younger and in a more stressful environment (the store).

·
Registered
712 Posts
is it possible they were red phantoms (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi) mislabeled as serpae (Hyphessobrycon callistus/eques). they do look kinda similar. i think the males are a lot more red with less black. good luck on your search.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
These are fully mature, and completely different than any other serpaes I've ever had. They are bright red, with little to no black on them.

Once I get my 120g setup I'll snap some shots. That'll be a while. I've got the tank sitting in my basement, I'm just a bit too busy.
I got some of those, they are tank bred in Florida.
The pale, so so color ones are from Asia.

The FL types are really nice fish, frisky, colorful, eat well, hardy.
I asked the wholesaler to acquire more:thumbsup:
One of my fav fish these days.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Tom,I'm glad you mentioned that, I was talking to an wholesaler in Thailand about bringing some in, I'll steer clear.

I'm a fan. I'm planning on going with lots of slow growers, anubias, crypts, bolbitis, java fern, in my new 120, and I think a good school of 20-30 would look great.
I think I have about 40 in my 120, hardly see them, seems like I have 10:mad: Same for the dwarf loaches.

I'll let you know if they have more of them and will shoot you an email.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.