The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always just used Kents freshwater plant food and nothing else in my tank. I just picked up a bottle of Flourish Excel. Should I be using both, or just one or the other? They look like two different things, but I wanted to make sure.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I don't think it's the same but I don't know what Kent product you're using for sure. I think Kent has discontinued the FW plant supplement line.

Excel is a replacement for CO2.

SteveU

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi bcdudley,

You are right, they are two different things. Flourish Excel is not a fertilizer. Excel is typically used as a carbon source in aquariums that do not have CO2 systems. It is a chemical (Glutaraldehyde) that breaks down over several hours into carbon molecules that the plants can utilize for growth, similar to the way the carbon in CO2 is used for growth. Excel also has an undocumented use as an algaecide if dosed at 2X normal dosage. Some plants, specifically Vals, may suffer from the use of Excel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kent Freshwater Plant Micronutrient Plant Supplement with Iron & Magnesium

Sources of Nutrients:
Muriate of Potash, iron EDTA, manganese EDTA, zinc EDTA, sodium EDTA, cobalt chloride, copper EDTA, sodium molybdate. Other Ingredients: Deionized water, humidic acid.

Freshwater Plant 0-0-3 Guaranteed Analysis:
Soluble Potash (K20) 3%
Copper (Cu) (Min) .00001%
Iron (Fe) (Min) .24%
.24% Chelated Iron
Manganese (Mn) (Min) .01%
Molybdenum (Mo) (Min) .0009%
Zinc (Zn) (Min) .00014%

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.