The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between them? I know one of them is oftenly used as foreground and that they need high light. I want to know what's the difference in how they look though. I saw some today when I visted the LFS, but I wasn't sure which it was so I didn't buy any.

·
Registered
705 Posts
both can be used as a forground if lighting is high enough. sometimes they can look similar but in proper conditions they look quite different. HM tends to have an almost star like leaf shape is a stem plant, nodes are farther apart and the leaf is usually 3 times larger than HC but it can be pretty small and is usually 3-6 inches. HC is similar to glosso except 3 times smaller, under proper conditions nodes are almost right beside each other, and it is rarely more than an inch high

HM http://www.plantacquari.it/images/piante/hemianthusmicranthemoides.jpg

HC Acquario, acquari, plantacquari, layout, pesci, piante acquatiche, fertilizzanti

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the description and pictures : D I think the ones in the lfs is HM. Will HM always creep along the substrate in high light and will HC stay low if it is in anything but high light?

·
Registered
705 Posts
HC and HM can be finicky under high lighting in one of my nanos HM grew with small leaves like HC and vertical but in my new nano it grew with large leaves but horizontal. HC if it grows ( its a very difficult plant to keep healthy ) will grow horizontally but i have seen it grow vertically in tanks so its a strange and fine line between the two i havent tried hc yet but hopefully i will.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I would say the roots for HM are quite a bit larger than the root system for HC (however, both are still relatively small).

Each individual HC leaf is perhaps 2 mm in diameter, and the roots are maybe 4-5 mm long each.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The roots are pretty much the same. It's just that HC has much smaller roots due to it being a much smaller plant.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
In my tank, HM grows horizontal, and piles up on itself. In shaded areas it pops straight up however. It grows incredibly fast, and spreads like a malicious rumor. It does root down pretty well though. Anytime I pull a bunch of it up, lots of substrate comes with it.

It does look pretty nice as a carpet. It just requires constant trimming. I have often thought about replacing it with HC, but decided to leave it in the tank for the sake of conversation, so I can complain about always having to mow it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts