The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cloudy water all of the sudden and need to know the differerence between green dust and green water. Is green dust algea a floating dust or is it just on surfaces? I need to figure it out before I try to find a solution.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
GDA is on the surface of the glass.

Take a white cup and scoop up some water from your tank. Is the water clear or is there a hint of green?

If it's clear, you have something other than green water. If it's green....or even a little bit yellow, congratulations, you have green water! Better start that blackout now!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water in a white bucket is slightly greenish yellow. A blackout is only temporary right? If I lower my phosphates and lower light will I be on the right track to keeping it from coming back?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Depends on the tank.

I had GW for weeks until I used a diatom filter. Cleared it up in two days (the first day was because there was a leak in the filter and not all of the water was passing through the DE powder).

I haven't changed my dosing or CO2. In fact, I have higher lighting and I still don't have green water.

The main problem is probably your lighting. Drop your lighting and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a phosphate test kit and they were low under 1 ppm. so after the blackout I'll lower the light and wait and see.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Phosphate isn't the cause of algae. Too much light for the maintenance you do can be a problem, and not enough healthy growing plants can be a major problem, since we depend on the plants to prevent algae spores from ever noticing any ammonia in the tank. I'm guessing if you have green water, it followed an upheaval of the substrate, which can release lots of ammonia and other organic gook into the water. If you don't do a big water change immediately after such an upheaval you do risk an algae outbreak. Also, if you have a lot of light and don't have a stable supply of CO2 in the water, that can start an algae outbreak too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts