The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what happened yesterday the water in my Fluval EBI (planted no co2 no ferts) looked cloudy and a few of my crystals didn't look as white as normal more of a clear. I did a quick check with a test strip and all my water parameters seemed good (I couldn't pull out the full test kit with my 2yr old running around). This morning I woke up and the water looked very cloudy I went over to the tank and every living thing in it except my Otto was at the top of the tank Shrimp,snails,Panara,worms even Lil bugs. I had 5-6 dead adult shrimp (2 were berried SSS) many dead baby's and Lil bugs. I pulled out whatever dead i could and did 2 50% water changes. I have had this tank for about 8 months with no problems and no major changes the parameters and temp of the water are always in ideal range. I don't know what happened or what to do. HELP.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't loose everything but they were all at the top like they were trying to get air. The tank is to High for my daughter to get to. I dint think of checking the water I wanted to save the rest of my shrimp but i wish i did rookie mistake. the water is still cloudy but shrimp are all acting fine. I plan on doing more testing and a good cleaning and water change when my wife and kid go out. if anyone has any idea of what I should do or look for I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No air stone and no carbon just the sponge filtration in the EBI filter and a fan on top of the tank to cool and agitate the surface. I guess these are things I should consider.
I am not sure where in the filter to put the carbon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had a similar problem last month in one of my EBI's . I added an airstone and put biochemzorb in their small canister filter.
*The canister I am using is a small zoo med 501.

I thought the problem was with my RO unit being contaminated or something. I started using store RO water and instead of removing water I have been topping off for the past month and everyone is back to normal. I have also added a small HOB filter by Finnex .

·
Registered
434 Posts
In my Ebi, I use a sponge filter that is for a 20G. Crystal water and they forage on the large filter.

I never took the Fluval filter out of the box. IIRC, it's only good for a 15G max, but it's not the best filter out there for even that size.

I really like my Ebi, but the stock light and filter leave a lot to be desired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.