The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this plant in a 75 gal. high light,co2 ,and pmdd. all plants in the tank r doing very well except this plant what do u think is goin on .btw its the bottom part thats rotting but the upper part of the plant is flourishing.thanks in advance

·
Registered
705 Posts
this is a very high light plant ! how much light are you running ? also it is common for the bottom parts to rot due to its love of really high light!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Second that. This is a high light plant. I didn't have much success with it, still live the look and will try on a smaller tank some time in the future...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I have it under 2.5WPG and it's doing OK...I guess that's about high light though. CO2 helps it get "bushy" after topping it off.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have it under 2.5WPG and it's doing OK...I guess that's about high light though. CO2 helps it get "bushy" after topping it off.
Can depend on the depth of the tank too... Tall tank with 2.5WPG would be different than a shallow tank with 2.5WPG.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
mine dies off toward the bottom too... They just turn brown and stiff. They don't melt away like most plants that die off.

Mine are doing ok. It's growing.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I used to grow this plant too (3wpg in a 55g), but I too suffered from bottom parts dying and mid/top parts doing fine. I'm pretty sure this occured because not enough light was reaching the bottom portions. I noticed a shading effect, mostly due to other plant growth, so IMO, it cut off light to the bottom portion. Too bad too, such a nice looking plant. :(

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This plant did better for me when I was careful to plant single stems, with enough room for light to reach the bottom. But, it never did continue to do well, so I got rid of it. This was years ago when my knowledge of fertilizing and CO2 was minimal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts