The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine die ever time. I get them. They have plenty to eat and they also can eat the sinking wafers I add. The oto's do well in my tank. What's up with these nerites? I have read that several people have had them die.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Mine die ever time. I get them. They have plenty to eat and they also can eat the sinking wafers I add. The oto's do well in my tank. What's up with these nerites? I have read that several people have had them die.
The best anyone could come up with in my thread was the occasional top-off without de-chlor. So I started adding a little prime with my top offs, and a little while later, I lost my last one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't had any die suddenly. If any do pass it's because my slightly acidic water eats at their shells and they become weak.
I just hate it when one just chills on top of my diffuser with co2 bubbles flowing all around his shell! Doesn't he know that's VERRRY bad for him?!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't had any die suddenly. If any do pass it's because my slightly acidic water eats at their shells and they become weak.
I just hate it when one just chills on top of my diffuser with co2 bubbles flowing all around his shell! Doesn't he know that's VERRRY bad for him?!
I bet he looks really cool though...he's like a smoker nerite. It's totally bad for him but he loves looking hip and self-destructive.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I got mine from Wilma and have had them for 18+ months, no problems except for a little shell erosion. The difference here is that Wilma actually breeds hers in freshwater, and yes they are normally brackish water snails.

Search Google for: +Wilma +"olive nerite" +snail

As an invertebrate they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite, but also very high nitrates.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I loved my mystery snails from Wilma. She sexed them for me so no eggs or babies. I am waiting on 3 more of those now. I guess I will try them again. I did not think about the olive nerites I bought from someone else. They did last a long time. I had been trying the zebra which are the ones that all die.

http://www.wilmasthecause.org/Packages.html

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well, the newer Nerites I've seen come from either brackish or riverine conditions, and most planted tanks are generally the opposite. Could be a lack of salt and low pH/hardness, could be a lack of oxygen and water movement.

I do agree Olives a great option though, they're true freshwater and very hardy, and amazing algae eaters even compared to other Nerites.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I loved my mystery snails from Wilma. She sexed them for me so no eggs or babies. I am waiting on 3 more of those now. I guess I will try them again. I did not think about the olive nerites I bought from someone else. They did last a long time. I had been trying the zebra which are the ones that all die.

http://www.wilmasthecause.org/Packages.html
I don't see where you buy them on that site.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now Wilma only has one purple mystery snail who happens to be male. She had a problem with breeding Mystery snails and won't sell them till they are in great shape and healthy.
Wilma's links will open only for what she has on hand now. If you want anything special, like the males I am waiting for she has a list try to get on it. Just email her at [email protected] YAHOO.COM

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Right now Wilma only has one purple mystery snail who happens to be male. She had a problem with breeding Mystery snails and won't sell them till they are in great shape and healthy.
Wilma's links will open only for what she has on hand now. If you want anything special, like the males I am waiting for she has a list try to get on it. Just email her at [email protected] YAHOO.COM
I just did. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts