The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First I want to thank everyone here who takes the time to post responses and help others in the forum. I'm one of those hobbyists that has gotten much help from public forums like these over the years, but never joined one. The advice here has at times been incredibly valuable.

I have come across a situation that despite my best research skills, I can't solve and am wondering if someone can figure this out. I recently just purchased a moss from a vendor that was labeled as "Christmas Moss (VESICULARIA MONTAGNEI)" however the sample I got doesn't look anything like the Christmas Moss images I've found on the internet.

See the first two images - the first image below, entitled "Moss-I-Received.jpg", is the one I received in the mail. The second image - "Moss-Shown-On-Vendor-Website.jpg" - is the one shown on the vendor's website. Yes they do look the same and it was my bad for not comparing the vendor photo with the photos on the internet (I just ordered based on label/name).

However look at the third image - this is like the many on the internet and is what I think Christmas Moss should look like. It has the triangular "tree like" structure and I don't see that on the moss I got at all. I wondered if maybe the moss I got hasn't grown out long enough yet, but I found one source that says the length of Christmas moss is up to 1.5 inches and mine is already an inch, but as you can see in the photo there is no perpendicular branches coming out of any of the stems and definitely none have a triangular tree shape.

Can someone confirm if what I got is Christmas Moss at an early growth stage and if it isn't Christmas Moss, what Moss is this?

It looks similar to Flame Moss to me, though some flame moss seems to display a twisty shape and I don't see that with these stems much...

Many thanks to anyone that can help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
I hate that when you get something that isn't even close to the picture.I'm no expert on moss,but that doesn't look like the flame moss I had,It does look a lot like java to me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's definitely not Christmas moss. I don't think it's flame moss either. My flame moss always grew straight up, not out. I second MtAnimals in thinking that it looks like plain old java moss. Sorry, that sucks. If you want a reliable source for mosses and plants, just check out the For Sale section of this forum. You can find some real Christmas there, and pretty large variety of other plants as well. And everybody that I've worked with has been very trustworthy with reasonable prices. I tried buying plants other places online when I first started out and had some similar experiences to you. Now I only buy through members here.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I hear the vendor has great customer service, although I would never buy shrimp from them.

You might want to consider messaging them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your quick and helpful replies. Before I sent an email to their customer service, I wanted to get some opinions first and it seems the feedback confirms my concerns. It's too bad as I've had a great experience with them and this is my first real issue...

I actually suspect another moss may be wrong as well but let's see...

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your quick and helpful replies. Before I sent an email to their customer service, I wanted to get some opinions first and it seems the feedback confirms my concerns. It's too bad as I've had a great experience with them and this is my first real issue...

I actually suspect another moss may be wrong as well but let's see...

Thanks!
This might help..
https://www.killies.com/Truthaboutmosses.htm

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pretty nice mat of java moss tho. I've certainly gotten much worse.

Try Buceplant.com I got some wonderful stuff from them.
Flame and xmas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts