The Planted Tank Forum banner

Did it cycle?

1378 11
I had in, 2 week the ammonia to bee at 3 whit fish food, after the first week i startet to get nitrit
readings, then after two weeks i got nitrat to go up from 12 to 30, then 3 days after that the
ammonia and nitrit got down to 0, it has stayed on 0 in a week now, even then i put the same
quantity fish food in. So it should have cycle right?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,697 Posts
Here is another question.... is the tank large enough to support that many fish?

I'm not asking if they could all fit in there but rather, will the tank be overstocked or under-stocked with water changes done weekly.

If it's large enough, then great!

Were you able to get the ammonia up to 4 ppm at least? Once you add fish you may see a spike and may want to do water changes every couple of days to every three days until the bacteria is able to catch up to the amount of fish that is in the aquarium.

Once the tank is settled and you have a water change schedule, you could test the parameters once a week or less.

· Registered
3,697 Posts
At that size, you'll probably be fine! You shouldn't need to do too large of water changes I imagine, at least not in the beginning. As you add more fish, you may need to increase the size of water changes, but as it stands, might not need to do more than 10% in the beginning? Only testing will tell you for sure. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.