The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 55, currently unplanted, and bought the Satellite + in the belief that I could eventually add low-light plants (anacharis, hornwort anumbias, etc.). I also looked long and hard at the Finnex Planted +. Anyway, I've had to send the remote from the Satellite back once, and the entire light had to be returned (bad controller; remote wouldn't turn off the light in the main settings). Question: will the Sat. + be enough light in the full spectrum mode for low-tech, low to moderate light plants? Or, should I cut my losses and go for the Finnex Planted Plus?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the sat plus on my 55g and mostly low light plants and in the two weeks I've had it the seem to be thriving. Microswords are sending off runners, dwarf amazon is spitting out a new leaf almost daily. Wisteria and hygro sprouting top and bottom. Low tech, excel flourish comp and root tabs. My thoughts were that for the price if I wanted more light id just add a second fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yep if you plan to grow low light plants the current sat plus is perfect for that. I have one on my 55g also growing low light plants and if you look at my journal and find the 55g from start till the end you will see how well the plants have grown.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: after a week of planting some hornwort, a few ferns and a small amazon sword, they all appear to be growing; the hornwort greened up, and the amazon grew two new leaves. Looking back, I guess the Finnex planted plus was a beter idea, but 8 hours a day with the SAT looks good so far. Is Flourish the best fert to use?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It all depends on your lighting. Of you are sticking to one LED light on a 55 you will probably be in the low range of lighting. You can go with liquid fertilizers like what Seachem offers but they are by no means the "best", with premixed stuff you are mostly paying for the water and very few fertilizers.

When I swapped over from liquids to dry fertilizer I was simply amazed at the difference. With dry fertilizers you can custom blend what your exact needs are, unlike the premixed liquids, you get what they have.

There are several places to get dry fertilizers, I personally have bought mine from Nilcog in the past and am still using them today. With about ten minutes every two weeks I make my own liquid fertilizer in tiny jars, so each day I just add the correct jar when my lights come on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts