The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just added some dwarf sag and jungle val to my tanks and I'm hoping this looks Ok. I didn't have suitable tweezers so I used by hands the best I could to plant them. I hope this is OK? any feedback is truly appreciated and bare with me because I am new to plants lol.

There is also a dwarf lily that I received for free and I'm not sure if it is supposed to float or not? I have it the stem under a rock for now. Please let me know.

Here is a pic of the dwarf lily, I am not sure how to "plant" this.

also I have no idea what this is, am I just supposed to float this at the top also? it came free with some plants I got.

·
Registered
218 Posts
also I have no idea what this is, am I just supposed to float this at the top also? it came free with some plants I got.

Yep, that's a floater! Looks like some kind of Salvinia species to me, or maybe water lettuce (hard to tell from the 2nd photo). It'll do its floater thing while sitting on top of the water.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the floater looks like Salvinia minima
and yeah it looks like you planted those correctly (except i dont know about lillies so i'll pass giving an opinion on that one haha)

·
Registered
651 Posts
With a dwarf lily, you typically just lay the bulb on the substrate and let it grow roots. I didn't really see a bulb there, so maybe it's a daughter plant, in which case weighing it down with plant weights or a rock seems reasonable.

Lilies are heavy root feeders, so add some roottabs around and it'll be happy.

Keep it trimmed to the size you want it to be. Periodically it'll try to send up a pad. If you don't want the pad, just trim as close to the bulb as you conveniently can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it is anything like the salvinia I used to have it will spread super fast - I used to give it away by the bagfull to friends and family every few weeks! Strange thing is that over december time it slowly died off from all my tanks and also my friends tanks - disappeared completely within a month or so! Your fish will love the cover it offers and the roots look really pretty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts