The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh wise planted tanked people,

I set up a new tank 2 days ago. I am waiting during the cycle, researching and reading. I have had tanks 15 years ago, but things have changed a lot since then!

It is a 37 gallon 30X12X22 with ~3 inches Gravel w/ ~25% fluorite. I was aiming for a smallish, easy, low tech tank with easy plants and simple tetras and the like.

The Lighting I bought was 18W X 2 T5. At the time I didn't know that the watts/gallon rule was outdated, and I thought I was playing it safe. Now I am concerned that I have over done it and have launched myself into a high-tech world of constant paranoia over CO2 and ferts and algae wars.

Is 36W for 37 gallons high tech no matter what? Should I downgrade my lights? Can I modulate this by reducing the photo period? Should I suck it up and just go high tech?

-Nate

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the amount of lighting you have putting you into high light.

Indeed, the WPG guideline is long outdated, unless you are still using T12 bulbs.

What distance is your aquarium lighting away from your substrate? I take it that 22" is the height of your aquarium, and given that your substrate is ~3", if we assume your lighting is placed directly on top of the glass, that gives us a depth of 19".

According to Hoppy's guide here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774

We can see that even with two T5NO bulbs, it will not put you into high light (at substrate level). If anything, you still have a low light aquarium.

Now I am concerned that I have over done it and have launched myself into a high-tech world of constant paranoia over CO2 and ferts and algae wars.
I found (the bold part) extremely funny. :hihi:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Using an online aquarium volume calculator you find that, filled to the brim, your tank actually holds 34.29 USG without any gravel or 29.61 USG with three inches of gravel, so for the sake of calculating the dose of any meds or ferts you can consider your volume of water to be 30 gallons. This makes a big difference if you ever use medication as the dosage should be quite accurate to work. You can alleviate any residual paranoia by adding Seachem Excel at 15ml. initial dose and 3ml. every second day as per the label instructions. This makes up for low CO2 levels, speeds up plant growth and is an algicide. It seems to keep my low light tank spotless and is widely reccomended as raising CO2 in any light level is a good thing and who doesn't love algicide?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, GF. I'm definitely looking at Excel as an option. And I didn't realize about the volume.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts