The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are shrimp hyper sensitive to Hydrogen Peroxide? I have 3 tanks with Neocardinia + Amano shrimp. in 2 tanks the Neos are breeding but in the one where I treated excessive algae with H2O2, the population has almost disappeared. Worked on the algae and the fish (neon's & a few guppies & a few bristle nosed ancistrus) are fine but shrimp almost gone. The tank is 90gals with lots of hiding spaces & plants. Was I incredibly stupid?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a couple of questions

What % H2O2 was it? Typically you would use 3% @ 0.5-1mL per gallon. I've spot treated using 0.5mL per gallon with no ill effect.

Did you spot treat via a baster or pipette or just treat the whole tank? Filters on/off?

Did you let it sit for 5-10 min and then do a WC?

Have you found these shrimp dead or can you just not see them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've seen the following recommendation:
"Hydrogen Peroxide 3% Dosage: 1ml / 4L (upto 2ml / 4L if you think the situation is drastic)."

I've been dosing my tank with a syringe by slowly pouring over it. Recommendation is to remove the filter media since it could hurt good bacteria.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.