The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After planting my first iwagumi (well first planted tank ever) I tried planting my blyxa and I heard snaping as I pushed fairly hard to get it deep in the aquasoil. Fast forward 3 days I am noticing my blyxa is withering away (brownish, and floating up the tank).

I pulled 1 out and noticed there was no roots or anything. I did not notice any below lol but maybe thats how the plant is? My HC seems to be bright green still. (3days have past)

:mad:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I just got my first Blyxa stems last week so I am no expert on them. They are stem plants and usually sold as cuttings with no roots. I suspect you broke the stem and it is floating up now that the leaves have rotten enough they cannot hold the broken stem in place. Clean off the brown parts and if the stem is still solid replant it, you just never know if it can recover or not. I use forceps and pull the stems into the substrate. I tried using my fingers for just one plant the other week and it was awful, forceps or tweezers work MUCH better. I would love to try chopsticks sometime, read they are good as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Blyxa almost always melts when it's planted in a new tank, trust me, so that in itself isn't much to worry about. Regarding roots, it's true it's often sold and shipped without any, and can regrow them fine. My advice would be to plant it in your substrate, weighing it down if you need to for now, and don't touch it unless you have to. As long as the stem itself is still stiff the plant can come back.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Blyxa almost always melts when it's planted in a new tank, trust me, so that in itself isn't much to worry about. Regarding roots, it's true it's often sold and shipped without any, and can regrow them fine. My advice would be to plant it in your substrate, weighing it down if you need to for now, and don't touch it unless you have to. As long as the stem itself is still stiff the plant can come back.

ditto.
Mine melted to about half inch before bouncing back.

·
Registered
486 Posts
+1 to what others have said. Patience is the toughest part when it comes to new plants. Just stuff the stem in your substrate and let it work its magic. Your blyxa jungle will flourish in no time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've found blyxia to be a VERY brittle plant which also likes to float. Once it's in it does fine, but even moving it around my tank I have a dozen or so leaves die and fall off within a week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just planted some Blyxa 8 days ago in my tank. It came rootless, just leaves and a short stem (2 plants). I planted with tweezers probably too deep in the sand but I wanted it to stay down. It first turned brown and melted off maybe 20% of the leaves, but now it's changed back to green and I expect it'll recover nicely. I think it just doesn't like being moved (who would!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.