The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my paintball CO2 yesterday in my 10 gal with 3 amano shrimp. I'm using one of those cheap glass diffusers and from the looks of it, I'm getting 1 bubble every 2 seconds. My shrimp seemed okay before I added CO2, but I have noticed that they looked a bit more cloudy than their normal translucent appearance. Well, one died overnight, and another looks to be on the brink of death. What to do?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yikes! I've got limited experience with shrimp, but one thing that always did spell impending death with my Amanos was when they lost their normal translucent appearance.

Do you have a drop checker to monitor your CO2 saturation levels? A visual bubble count probably isn't telling you the whole story on a 10-gallon.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still waiting for my drop checker to come in the mail. I was hoping to start off with a small amount of CO2 that couldn't possible suffocate my shrimp. My pH with the added CO2 is about 6.4.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a 79 gph internal filter running (hoping to get a canister soon) with a 2x18 watt T5HO fixture. It's moderately-heavily planted. There are 4 red spot nerites in the tank, and 2 low grade cherry shrimp that I have not seen in a day.

It's been running for 27 days, but was cycled with zero ammonia/nitrite after 2 weeks using old filter media from my 20 gal. I put in the amanos 2.5 weeks after setup.

I have been dosing 1.5x recommended amount of Excel everyday to deal with some algae growth. Dosing recommended amounts of Kent Formula K-Fe and Pro-Plant 3 times a week. 30% water changes a week with topoffs every other day using Prime-treated tap water that has been left sitting for at least 2 days.

I have been getting some ammonia readings from my treated tap, but have read that Prime gives off false positives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.