The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my ferts last night, adding 1/4 tsp of Potassium Nitrate, 1/16 tsp of Potassium Sulfate and 8 drops of Phosphate via Fleet Enema. Now after I just read Chucks Planted Aquaria page on dosing nitrates, I think I may have added too much at once, can anyone shed a little light on this for me? According to Chuck, it's dangerous for the fish to add more than 1 ppm a day of nitrate. Should I be concerned? The fish, not the plants, are my main concern.

Thanks!
Linda

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
we need to know your gallons to know if you added too much.

I add 10-20ppm at a time of Nitrate with no problem. So you shouldn't be concerned unless that 1/4tsp is going in a 5g tank.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
LD50's are unknown for most fish.

I know that the LD50's using KNO3 for shrimps(amano's) is qwell over 100ppm for 3 day exposure.

So 20-40ppm will never hurt any fish.
If you have that much NO3 that came from fish waste alone, then there might be issues. Fish waste=> NH4......then it turns to NO3 if not used by plants...........

Adding KNO3 side steps all that

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
197 Posts
its not going to hurt anything i dump 10ppm at a time fish dont mind it

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I think you will be fine as well.

However, if you find yourself in a similar situation or are ever concerned about water conditions, a quick water change will help straighten things out and goes a long way toward peace of mind. :icon_wink

Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I have a 29 gallon tank. I just walked into my living room and the first thing I could see was green algea on the glass but thankfully, it wipes off very easily. I tested just about everything and the results are:

PH 6.8
KH 5.0
GH 40
Nitrate 20
Phosphate 0.3 - I had a hard time with this color today, it was a tough call, almost 0.5. Now tonight, I'm getting ready to dose Plantex. Will the algae eventually cease? It's green brush algae I believe it's called.

Judging by my water parameters, should I skip dosing tomorrow? Where my lighting 1 x 55 watt AH Supply w/6700K and DIYCO2 (Milwaukee all in one is on the way, should be here by Friday) isn't that high, wouldn't it be wise to go slow with the fertilizers, at least until I get the pressurized system on the tank. Thoughts?

Many thanks for all your helpful advice.

Linda

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I don't think the fish will even notice. I had a mass dump from the macro dosing pump where it dumped 10 days' supply of macros over night and I didn't noticed it until the following day. That's 100 ppm worth there and fish behaved as normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts