The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won the bid on an Air Products regulator for $38 shipped Priority. Here's what the seller had in the description: "This is a high purity stainless steel gauge. Model # is E12-2440".

Did I get a good deal? Will this make a good first CO2 regulator?

I know I now need a post body and to replace the tank connector with a 320.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is a good quality regulator, but notice that the first divisiion on the output pressure gauge is 4 psi. It will be impossible to set a pressure of 20 psi with any more accuracy that +/- 4 psi. That kind of limits you to using higher outlet pressures, or accepting that the setting won't repeat when you try to do so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a good quality regulator, but notice that the first divisiion on the output pressure gauge is 4 psi. It will be impossible to set a pressure of 20 psi with any more accuracy that +/- 4 psi. That kind of limits you to using higher outlet pressures, or accepting that the setting won't repeat when you try to do so.
So does that mean that it won't be good to use? Or that it will only be good to use with diffusers that use higher pressure? Or that it will just be more fiddly when setting the needle valve?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're fine. I believe the seller had it listed slightly wrong. Instead of -1440, it most likely is a "D" (E12-244D). That means it's a 100psi model. I'm assuming it has a 200psi high pressure gauge?
One gauge reads to 3000 and the left one reads to 200. Did you mean the low pressure gauge reads to 200?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're fine. I believe the seller had it listed slightly wrong. Instead of -1440, it most likely is a "D" (E12-244D). That means it's a 100psi model. I'm assuming it has a 200psi high pressure gauge?
Oh, and BTW, reading your "how to" was what inspired me to build my own.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I don't believe the regulator is stainless steel based on the model#. It is still absolutely fine to use.... I just hate how people on ebay have no idea what they are talking about. You have to know for yourself all about what they are selling. I recently saw a single stage regulator listed as a dual stage.... terrible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't believe the regulator is stainless steel based on the model#. It is still absolutely fine to use.... I just hate how people on ebay have no idea what they are talking about. You have to know for yourself all about what they are selling. I recently saw a single stage regulator listed as a dual stage.... terrible.
I was wondering that myself if it was really stainless steel. I figured at that price I was still getting a pretty good deal even if it wasn't.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you use a good needle valve it won't matter that you will probably want to use 20+psi output pressure. If you have one of the cheap needle valves it might be a problem, because they can be hard to adjust very precisely when the pressure on the them is over 20 psi. I would rate it a good buy.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I was wondering that myself if it was really stainless steel. I figured at that price I was still getting a pretty good deal even if it wasn't.
Exactly. And I am guessing that it is nickel plated, just because of experience, I have only seen one out of many, many of those that is plain brass (I have it lol). But nickel is most similar to SS in looks. You should able to tell because white light reflected in the nickel should have a very slight yellow-orange tint to it, instead of natural white. Kind of like the difference between an incandescent light bulb and a fluorescent. But you have to look very close to notice this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you use a good needle valve it won't matter that you will probably want to use 20+psi output pressure. If you have one of the cheap needle valves it might be a problem, because they can be hard to adjust very precisely when the pressure on the them is over 20 psi. I would rate it a good buy.
My plan is to use the Fabco nv55-18. Is there a better choice for the money?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.