The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Umm! I guess you know this is not a quickie??
The date on the tank might be a question before doing too much. Good hydro test date? Any firm knowledge of whether it is a working reg,etc?
I would start with the tank. Remove the reg and lay the tank down in a pan if you can to soak. It will take some time. Soaking first will make any deposits easier to remove when you get to that stage. Enough water to cover and then lots of vinegar might be a place to start. While soaking overnight or so, use an old brush to swap the exterior of the reg with vinegar. Don't fllod the solenoid electrical parts. Some soaking and some scrubbing will get the brass parts looking much better.
But it may also be true that neither will ever be really pretty again. If there are serious pits in the tank metal, they may not agree to a hydro test.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Umm! I guess you know this is not a quickie??
The date on the tank might be a question before doing too much. Good hydro test date? Any firm knowledge of whether it is a working reg,etc?
I would start with the tank. Remove the reg and lay the tank down in a pan if you can to soak. It will take some time. Soaking first will make any deposits easier to remove when you get to that stage. Enough water to cover and then lots of vinegar might be a place to start. While soaking overnight or so, use an old brush to swap the exterior of the reg with vinegar. Don't fllod the solenoid electrical parts. Some soaking and some scrubbing will get the brass parts looking much better.
But it may also be true that neither will ever be really pretty again. If there are serious pits in the tank metal, they may not agree to a hydro test.
This tank is still 5/8th full of co2. Yup I agree, not an easy job.
No odea about the hydro date, where on the tank would I find the date?
Can I count soaking the tank in the bathtub with vinger+ soapy water as a bottle only leak test, Can I use warm water or cold only since the gas will expaned with heat...

Why don't you take tank to airgas to exchange for a cleaner tank?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I can swap out this tank for a newer one Im sure, but then I dont really own the tank, its more of a rental yes? The seller only wants $50.00 for what you see in the photo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can swap out this tank for a newer one Im sure, but then I dont really own the tank, its more of a rental yes? The seller only wants $50.00 for what you see in the photo.
No u own it, u just swap tanks. U see, u buy a tank and then pay a fill charge but instead of filling it they swap ur empty for a full tank

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
This tank is still 5/8th full of co2. Yup I agree, not an easy job.
No odea about the hydro date, where on the tank would I find the date?
The hydro test date should be stamped somewhere on the side of the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Ketchup, for real.
That is how you clean brass in this condition, cover the reg with ketchup for 15 minutes, then clean it with dish scrab, make sure don't get any ketchup or water into the reg.
Same procedure if not clean the first time.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here's an example of the hydro test date, it's usually day/month/year, and it's good for five years.

Here in Canada tank swapping is a less popular practice....

Thanks. That helps alot. Where in Ontario are you?

Ketchup, for real.
That is how you clean brass in this condition, cover the reg with ketchup for 15 minutes, then clean it with dish scrab, make sure don't get any ketchup or water into the reg.
Same procedure if not clean the first time.
Ketchup it is... Thanks. I also did read your 3 articals about co2, Im a little worried about leaks now since my liveing room is only 10'x20' with one window. if it leaked badly I may come home to everyone in need of a hostipal trip or worse... Im assuming this is if the whole 5# tank was emptyed into the room yes?

Honestly I will likely take the reg apart and clean each peice. then replace some parts if needed and and put it back together ...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ketchup it is... Thanks. I also did read your 3 articals about co2, Im a little worried about leaks now since my liveing room is only 10'x20' with one window. if it leaked badly I may come home to everyone in need of a hostipal trip or worse... Im assuming this is if the whole 5# tank was emptyed into the room yes?
Unless your living room is VERY well sealed, I wouldn't worry about a leak. If the tank suddenly released its entire contents (as in the tank stem blew off), you would have many other things to worry about. CO2 poisoning is the least of the worries.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Now that there are new photos. Can someone let me know if they can see if this tank is still inside the hydro date??? Thanks

Unless your living room is VERY well sealed, I wouldn't worry about a leak. If the tank suddenly released its entire contents (as in the tank stem blew off), you would have many other things to worry about. CO2 poisoning is the least of the worries.

Exv152: A local shop said they will swap tanks for me if its still in date.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I don't see the date from here. Nothing painted yellow by chance? That is the way my place makes it easy to spot. We only get a number for the month and years, not the day of the month.

I would advise not to worry about the family. While it can be bad if you can't breathe, the odds of them not noticing the bang and whistle / swooshe that goes with the whole bottle dumping is real small! You are more likely to come home and find half the neighborhood standing outside asking what's making the noise! Just a broken tube or some part will not get them in trouble breathing. It about has to be the top knocked off to get dangerous. Just keep it strapped to something so it can't tip over to hit the valve hard enough to knock it off.

Since ketchup is tomatoe paste and vinegar, I guess it would work but for me, I'll stick to vinegar. Too pricey, too messy, just too weird? I just don't think getting that much ketchup poured out and then cleaned up is my choice.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Forget Brasso. That things needs something industrial. The fitting I would go to a car parts store and get a can of nev-r-dull. Brass fittings with corrosion is common on Navy ships and that is what we use.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That might be a good deal because yours is old, but if it were new I'm not sure I would do it. Usually there's an annual fee and a refill fee. How much are they charging?

$21.00 to fill the tank
$35.00 to get it hydro tested if needed, no other costs invloved besides taxes.
Seems like a good deal.

Regardless, $50.00 gets me this:
5# Tank 5/8th full of Co2
A regulator, dual stage I believe.
A needle valve already installed
A solenoid already installed.

Does of any of it work? No idea. but since this was used on a reef tank, im kinda thinking it will be a good system...

·
Registered
410 Posts
alternatively if you don't want your family members questioning your use of ketchup... you can get a bottle of brasso at walmart. does wonders to polish and clean metals.
Lol yeah my wife may ask what im doing.

Forget Brasso. That things needs something industrial. The fitting I would go to a car parts store and get a can of nev-r-dull. Brass fittings with corrosion is common on Navy ships and that is what we use.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk
I agree. Either vineger or industrial cleaner will work great.
Thanks for the tip, I will look into it for sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.