The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I live in an area with a lot of silicates and hard water coming from the tap.
I have a huge problem with diatoms. They are everywhere. In side the glass, driftwood, plants and equipment in the tank. It seems easy to remove using a algae scrubber and a toothbrush.
Any advise on how to get rid of them completely? Tank is 10 months old and I've had diatom issues for the past 8 months. I got a t5 quad light with no co2 on the tank. Diatoms have completely covered my anubias nana mother plant and have destroyed pretty much all the plants I've put in the tank. Substarte is 40-60 mix of flourite and gravel.
Attached picture is from my other tank. Diatoms are forming overnight all over moss, java fern and Rotalla wallichi.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey everyone,
I live in an area with a lot of silicates and hard water coming from the tap.
I worry that every time you use tap water for top ups or water changes, that new silicates are being introduced, thus perpetuating the diatom problem.
Have you considered treating your new water with a silicate removing compound prior to introducing it to the tank? I think with this approach, and some manual effort removing current diatoms, you can one day eliminate the problem.
Understanding this will make water changes more time consuming, but I'm not sure there are any simpler ways (considering your tap water is the way it is)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts