The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm pretty sure that this is brown algae / diatoms after doing some research but was hoping somebody could give me a second opinion? Been suffering from it ever since I started the tank about 14 months ago.
It's mostly on the back wall, rocks and plant leaves.

I am using tap water in the tank and after reading up, it sounds like it could be due to high Silicate and/or Phosphate content.

I probably won't do anything about it now because I plan to move house soon and that will be the time to re-start the tank - this time I will be using RO water, a UV sterilizer and increasing my lighting levels (from 1.35WPG to more like 2WPG).

Also I was wondering if my substrate (john Innes 3 compost and moler clay) could be a factor ?

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the best way to avoid this next time ?
to use RO water?

Do you know if there is any good guides on using RO water, as it all seems a bit of a mystery to me at the moment! I understand the concept but not how to install and use the unit..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just wondering the best way to keep the levels in check to avoid the diatoms blooming like this, I'm guessing RO would reduce the levels quite considerably ?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It is very hard to avoid silica all to gether as it is in nearly all rocks and minerals.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I agree. RO water would at least help remove it from the water source.

I was just wondering the best way to keep the levels in check to avoid the diatoms blooming like this, I'm guessing RO would reduce the levels quite considerably ?
It all depends on what your tap water levels are. At my house the silicate level is very high, so when I stopped using my tap water my diatoms went away. Like metageologist said you could have other things in your tank adding to your diatom problem...rocks, minerals, ect...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.