The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have anything like it anywhere else in my tank. Only on my Java Ferns. Any ideas? My Bristlenose won't touch it and neither will my RCS.

In case you can't tell by the picture, it's almost looks like a pipe cleaner. Very bristly with a solid stalk in the middle. Been there for several weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1

The brown bristles you see are the roots of the new plantlets. Wait till the new leaves are around 2"-3" and you can detatch them and "plant" them somewhere else as long as there are roots. The leaf they are growing from will eventually die and rot away.

If you see little green or brown bumbps on the larger leaves, you can expect roots and plantlets to start growing from them. Like in your picture, the closest fern has another bump towards the bottom of the leaf, plantlets will probably start growing from that spot too.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That what it looks like . I have a large bunch of Java that is over 15 years old and has produced a ton of daughter plants and still does...lol

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Congrats on your java fern plantlets! Leave them on the leaf, they'll grow faster if they can feed from the mother plant (like a baby with umbilical cord). They'll pop off when they're ready.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on your java fern plantlets! Leave them on the leaf, they'll grow faster if they can feed from the mother plant (like a baby with umbilical cord). They'll pop off when they're ready.
So they'll come off by themselves? I'm worried a little because the momma plant has a few black leaves

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There will be a few little black spots on older leaves, they will eventually turn black and mottled yellow. Remove them when you feel like, once they start turning yellow there will be no more babies produced.

You can remove the young plants earlier, when the leaves are still just a little black spotted. Java Fern are tough plants, they tend to persist even with the sickly leaves.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
So they'll come off by themselves? I'm worried a little because the momma plant has a few black leaves
That's natural. As the plantlets grows the leaf its on tends to break down and die. If you want the plantlets to grow into something use-able, leave them on the leaf, they grow soooo very slow when taken off the mother plant.
If the blackened leaves have no plantlets you can cut and remove those leaves.
I don't know why but regular java fern likes to reproduce more prolifically/constantly than my other types (narrow, needle, Philippine, thread leaf) which seem to prefer just growing rather than making plantlets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts